Have you ever, half way through a book, found your self wishing you could actually meet and talk to the characters? You know scold someone who's seriously misbehaving, or even bang their head against a wall if that would bring them back to their senses or hug someone who's desperately in need of one? I know Americanah is a fictional story and 'a figment of the writer's imagination and and any-resemblance with a person, living or dead is purely coincidental' and blah blah blah but if Adichie would give me a chance to meet some of them, here's what I would say:
1. Oh please Blaine, tell me you did not really eat a semen sandwich. What do you mean you were young and at Uni? Disgusting!
2. Ifemelu, tell Obinze about the tennis coach and save you both a decade of heartache.
3. Aunty Uju, first the General and now this annoying Bartholomew? Wait, what? 'You're now with Kweku and you're done dating total douchebags?' Good girl.
4. Yes Morgan, dear. Some oranges do have seeds and they are quite good. You should eat one.
5. Doris and all you Nigerpolitan club members who are craving paninis and chicken satays, do me a favour. Walk into the Murtala Muhammad International airport (you know where that is) buy, a ticketand go back to wherever you came from. Good riddance!
So what guys, Do you think I've totally lost my mind?
- And right after? Some sense and sensibility
- Go on Nanny! Spill all the dirty little secrets!
- Purple Hibiscus: Home Work
- She's been cleaning the figurines again
- Excited about Bare-Lit 2016? Well, it needs you to...
- Sincere apologies first of all
- Americanah: Buchi's Happy Ending
- BARE-LIT 2016: who else is super excited?
- Want to enter the 2016 Caine Prize For African Wri...
- What we'll be reading next
- Americanah: Just in case you are not Igbo
- Americanah: Five things I wish I could say to the ...
- Americanah: new words
- BOOK TRIVIA 101: Thank me later.
- AMERICANAH: I HAVE A BRITISH ACCENT...YOU CANT DIS...
- ▼ January (15)