Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Americanah: Just in case you are not Igbo

It so refreshing to see that even after so many years abroad, Chimamanda Adichie has not become a proper 'Americanah' herself and forgotten all about her roots, or even worse become ashamed of her 'gasp' native tongue. And did I mentioned that I think it's super cool that Obinze and Ifemelu competed to see who knows the most Igbo proverbs on their first date?
Now while reading this book, I noticed that it does not contain a glossary that pffers an explanation of the Igbo words and expressions used in the book ( my copy doesn't, anyway) so I decided to take it upon myself to do some ajayi work.
 And please bear in mind that am not quite as good as Obinze's mother at translations so this is not perfect and I have tried to explain the words in terms of the context in which they have been used in the book.
1. Biko : please.
2. Ndo: am sorry.
3: a di m ime: am pregnant.
4: asa! Ugo! These are terms of endearment, Am not sure I can fully explain them.
5: ife e sika kita: Times are hard now.
6: I ga sikwa! : there's no chance of that.
7. Obinze ma ife: Obinze is a wise man
8. Aru a dikwa? : are you alright?
9. o gini: what's wrong?
 Are there any other words you'd like me to interpret? Let me know and I'll try my best.
 Cheers!