Monday, 16 May 2016

Book Review: Alex Haley's Roots: The Saga of an American Family

What's it about: it's Alex Haley's 1976 novel about his 18th century ancestor Kunta Kinte who was captured and sold into slavery.
Where I got it from? I got mine from the school library. But it's an old and very popular book so it shouldn't be hard to find either from your local book store or online.
Is it any good? I still don't know whether to regard it as a work of fiction or not. I know it was written after gathering records and doing  a lot of research but then, the writer wasn't there when the events he describes took place so his account can't be 100 percent accurate. But still, he has a rich imagination and the book is really entertaining.Plus, I admire his courage because I wouldn't dare talk about my great-great-great-grandfather's foto like that.
Rating: πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹
Keys to rating:
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹: Where has this book been all my life? It's excellent!
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹:  It's a really good book. It deserves a place on every bookshelf
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹: Not bad, I've seen worse books.
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹: This author really needs to go back to writing school.
πŸ’‹: Can't believe I wasted my time reading this book.