Sunday, 29 May 2016

Book Review: Lauren Conrad's L.A. Candy

What's it About?
It's The Hills star Lauren Conrad's 2009 book about 19 year old Jane Roberts who moves to L.A. to intern for an event planning outfit but somehow, becomes the star of a hot new reality tv show ( talk about a mjor career change!).
Where I Got It From?
Ok, this is also from the library at school. But I can see from the back cover that it's available on www.haperteen.com and  also on Amazon.
Whats On The Cover?
I must admit, it has a very attractive cover. The heart-shaped candies ( I'm guessing thats what they are), is a perfect way to appeal to the teens and young adults that the book is intended for. The trick worked with me anyway. I liked the cover very much.
What I Think.
Can I just get this out if my mind quickly? I loved the chapter titles. In fact, after reading the first two or three, I actually paused and read ALL of them before continuing with the rest of the book. Good job Lauren, this one certainly wins the Up Close and Literal 'Book With The Coolest Chapter Titles' award. That said, the book was shallow in some places and forgive me but I don't think Lauren had to work that hard to write a book like this as she was already on a 'reality' tv show herself. Get my point?  It offers very little suprises but is suprisingly enjoyable. Plus, Sharp tongued- Scarlett's scarcasm kind of lifts it up and  provides some degree of humour.
Not so terribly awful for a first effort but it was really heartless of Lauren to tease me with a sneak peak of the sequel Sweet Little Lies. Now I can't wait to get my paws on it.
Rating:
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹

Keys to ratings:
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹: Where has this book been all my life? It's excellent!
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹: Really good book, deserves a place on every bookshelf.
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹:   Not too bad, I've seen worse books.
πŸ’‹πŸ’‹:  This author needs to go back to Writing School, this one is really not good.
πŸ’‹: Can't believe I wasted my time reading it.
Hey, did you know that a lot of exciting things are going on on our twitter page?  Follow us @UCandLiteral to see for yourself.
Love,
Chiomaah