Friday, 10 June 2016

Book Review: Songeziwe Mahlangu's Penumbra

What's it About: Penumbra is South African writer Songeziwe Mahlangu's 2014 Etisalat Prize for African Literature-winning novel about a young unemployed university graduate who suffers from a sort of mental illness. Or so I think.The Etisalat Prize for African Literature is the first Pan-African Literary prize that supports first-time writers. I found it in the library at school but it's available on www.Amazon.com and www.kwela.com if you'd like a copy.

My Thoughts: I apologise if I seem a little too harsh on this book, but to be honest. By the end of the first chapter I was so ready to put it down. The only reason why I went on was the conspicuous 'Winner Etisalat Prize for African Literature' stamp decorating the  cover. The book was just too vague and frankly, a little boring for my liking. While reading the book, I kept thinking surely it will get better, it has to. I mean it won an award, right? Am sorry to say, it did not. It's not just the book, actually. I mean people write mediocre books everyday but I think am more disappointed by the fact that it won an award. I mean this is supposed to be the best book written by a first-time African writer in 2014 and I think I beg to disagree.But then I can't say that until I have read all the books published by writers in that category that year. Or I could just start with the two other books nominated for this same award that year. Luckily for me, I managed  to get my hands on one of them Chinelo Okparanta's Happiness, like water. And of course I'll let you know what I think about it when am done, so watch this space. Any way, this is Mr. Mhalangu's first book and he is still young, so here's hoping his next work will be better.
Rating: πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹
Lest I forget, did you guys notice anything new on the blog. Of course it's now much much easier to get connected with us on twitter. Just click on the tiny little blue button on the right hand side.See you there and have a nice day.
Cheers,
Chiomaah.