Thursday, 14 July 2016

Book Review

Title: Happiness Like Water
Author: Chinelo Okparanta
Whats on the Cover: I think it's quite artistic, even though I cant say I understand it. Is that lady wearing tights or is she just really dark-skinned? The yellow buses in the background are called danfos and are popular in Lagos so maybe it's some sort of representation of life in Lagos or Nigeria in general? Somebody please help me out.
Plot: Happiness Like Water is Chinelo Okparanta's 2013 Etisalat Prize for Literature-winning awesome collection of short stories.

Review: I had never even heard of her before I read this book and now I feel really left out. Where on earth have I been? Okparanta tells already familiar stories in such a refreshingly different way, not to talk of bravely attacking a number of  issues such as homosexuality and domestic violence which are still largely taboo here in Nigeria where she comes from. Yes. Am showing off. Who wouldn't? Am so proud of her! From 'America' to 'Grace' (which are some of my favorites by the way), this woman shows such an intriguing mastery of the art of story-telling. The stories were were really engaging and kept me wanting more.
Rating: πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹