Sunday, 30 October 2016

Authors' Picks: Spooky Reads for you this Halloween πŸ‘»

Happy Halloween guys,
 Now we do not celebrate Halloween in Nigeria *sob* but I know a lot of you do. And I also know you'll be all dressed up in your costumes out having fun. But just incase you decide to stay in and like a true bookworm, crave something spooky to read, I had these three authors share with you their top picks for a literal Halloween spook-out session.
 Please enjoy!

Tracey Sinclair, Author of Bridesmaid Blues and The Dark Dates Series



1.     What's your favourite childhood Halloween memory?
 Halloween wasn’t actually that big a deal when I was growing up in England – it really took off in the mid-90s as a holiday imported from the States, so I don’t really have any! Back then we were more about Guy Fawkes – November 5th, when we commemorate the man who tried to blow up Parliament by lighting bonfires and putting ‘guys’ on the top of them, and having fireworks displays. So I have many happy memories of being bundled up in a thick coat watching fireworks in my local park with my family.

2.     What are your plans for Halloween?

I’m very disorganised so haven’t organised anything yet, but Brighton is quite a party town so I might see if there any parties I can crash! There is also a huge Bonfire Night party that happens every year in the town next to me, Lewes, and I haven’t managed to go yet so I might make this year the year!


3. What are your top five picks for a literal Halloween spook-out session

I’m actually a scaredy cat so don’t watch many horror movies or read scary books! But I did love The Cabin in the Woods, which was full of clever horror tropes, and the Scream movies – the first one properly scared me and the others were smart and enjoyable. For books, I loved Michelle Paver’s Dark Matter and Susan Hill writes great ghost stories.

Tracey Sinclair is an author and freelance editor and writer. Her books include the romcom The Bridesmaid Blues and the Dark Dates/Cassandra Bick series, the latest of which, Angel Falls, is out now.


@thriftygal