Saturday, 29 October 2016

THE DEADLINE by JACKIE KABLER WEEKEND BLITZ: JACKIE'S GUEST POST

Hey everyone,
 I hope you're ready for some real fun because today we'll be hosting the amazing Jackie Kabler on the Weekend blitz tour that Jenny from Neverland blog tours is organizing for her new mystery title, The Deadline. Which is a fantastic read, by the way. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow when I post my review. And there's an interview coming too. Those of you who live in the UK may already be used to seeing her on your TV screens. I have been telling all my friends that a huge UK TV personality will be visiting my blog and I think they all envy me, lol.
 And there's a tour giveaway that you can enter to win two copies of the book, a Nails inc. nail polish set and a cosmetics. The Nail polish set and the cosmetic bag especially make my mouth water. I wish tour hosts were allowed to enter. ☹️
Dont judge me though, Jackie is used to being so stylish so any right-thinking fashion girl would love to own stuff that's being approved by her.
See details on the on the right.
And here's a guest post by Jackie to start things off.

That tricky second novel

As publication day for my second book drew near, several friends asked me the same question - "was it quicker and easier to write the second than the first?" The short answer would be "yes, and yes!", but if I think about it properly, maybe it's not quite so straightforward.

 I certainly wrote my new book, The Deadline, much, much faster than my debut The Dead Dog Day. It took less than a year (and I have to write around a full time job, so it's all about grabbing time when I can), whereas The Dead Dog Day took about SIX years in total.

Now that sounds like a ridiculously long time, so I might need to explain. I started my first novel, which was originally a rom-com, eventually built up courage to send the first few chapters to some agents, and got zero interest and more rejection letters than I care to remember. Totally disheartened, I decided writing wasn't for me, put the book away and forgot about it for several years. Then, I dug it out again, vowed to give it another try, and decided to change the plot drastically by putting a murder in it alongside the romance and humour, all of which took about another year. Then I started sending it out again. This time, after several more rejections, I got lucky - in one crazy week, I suddenly had an agent and three offers of publishing deals, and eventually signed a three-book deal with Accent Press. So it all worked out in the end, but it took YEARS to get there.

This time, I already have my book deal so all of the time-consuming worry of sending a new book out for scrutiny isn't an issue. And, because I'm writing a series (the Cora Baxter Mysteries). I already "know" my main characters, which is incredibly time-saving too - creating a new character from scratch takes a lot more work. Plus, I think I sort of know how to structure a book a little better this time round. With the first, I didn't really know what I was doing, and made lots of mistakes - this time, I feel a little bit more in control.

In some ways though, the publication of my second novel is harder, and more nerve-wracking. I was terrified first time round, but had no idea what to expect, and the book did OK - the Kindle version reached number 21 on the overall Amazon chart, hit number four in women's fiction and for one heady, amazing day was number two on the crime, mystery and thriller chart, sitting next to The Girl on the Train which was (of course!) at number one.

This time, the pressure is on. Will the new book do as well? Will those who liked the first book be disappointed with the second? Have those who hated the first vowed to never buy my books again? So, quicker and easier to write, yes. But in terms of worry, not really easier at all. I somehow suspect that won't change, but I guess that's all part of this wonderful writing life. I feel so privileged to be able to call myself a published author, and still can't believe that my second novel is now out there in the world. And now, on with the third…





Blurb: Cora Baxter is back - and this time, she's facing the most important deadline of her career…

When TV reporter Cora Baxter attends the scene of a murder in a London park, she's horrified to discover the victim is someone she knows – and devastated when one of her best friends is charged with the crime. Suddenly the fun-filled life of Cora and her eccentric camera crew takes a darker turn. Cora is convinced that her friend is innocent, but with seemingly solid evidence, the police investigation team – reluctantly led by Cora's boyfriend DCI Adam Bradberry – believe the case is closed. With a trail of clues that leads all the way to New York, can Cora find out the truth before the trial begins – or is it already too late?

The Deadline is the second in the hugely popular Cora Baxter Mysteries series by acclaimed broadcaster Jackie Kabler
Jackie Kabler worked as a newspaper reporter and then in television news for twenty years, including nearly a decade on GMTV. She later appeared on BBC and ITV News, presented a property show for Sky, hosted sports programmes on Setanta Sports News and worked as a media trainer for the Armed Forces. She is now a presenter on shopping channel QVC and has a three-book deal with Accent Press for her Cora Baxter Mysteries, a series of murder mysteries set in a television newsroom.
Jackie Kabler:
Twitter @jackiekabler